Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Too Much Basil??


I'll show you my garden in another post, but let's just say my thumb is much greener than I ever expected. I "gave up" on my garden in the middle of the summer. With 100+ degree weather and being newly preggo, there was just no way I was going to stand in that heat to water my plants. I thought surely they would all just die and I wouldn't have to worry about them. Well, my basil showed me...


Yea, that's all basil, and it is not a plant that comes back every year. I had started a lot of seeds expecting most of them to die, but no such luck. What are you supposed to do with all of that basil?

Make Pesto! It was actually much easier that I expected and you only need three ingredients. First, clip some basil. You are going to need two cups packed down which starts off looking like a ton.


Then wash, dry and pick all the leaves off the stems. Combine the leaves with 1/2 cup olive oil and 1/3 cup pine nuts in your food processor. (I used my mini one and had to split the amounts in half.)


Since it makes so much, I busted out AG's baby food kit and put it in the compartments to freeze. Then all you have to do is pop one out and melt on your pasta or salmon and add some parmesan cheese.


Ta da! If you have a picky husband, I recommend not showing him the sauce at this stage. Wait until it's actually in the pasta or he may not want to try it.

No comments:

Post a Comment